Gaming can be an enjoyable pastime, but there are numerous difficulties that gamers must overcome. To begin with, there is the problem of internet speed limitations imposed by ISPs. In addition, gaming servers located far away from gamers pose a considerable problem.
Geographical limits are also a significant barrier to obtaining the best online gaming experience. Not getting access to the most recent release is nothing less than torture because you live somewhere. Online gamers may still be at risk of cyber-bullying problems like swatting or doxing, which can be detrimental.
Doxing and swatting may expose your personal information, or the authorities might arrive at your home due to a competitive Call Of Duty game. Another scary possibility is that another player launches DDoS assaults against you due to competitiveness.
If you want to play online games, you need a good VPN. This will ensure that your internet traffic is encrypted and your IP address is hidden. This will help keep your privacy protected while you play.
How to Choose the Best VPN for PS4 & PS5?
When selecting a gaming console VPN, you'll want to pay particular attention to a few aspects. The following are just some characteristics you should look for in a VPN. So here's what you've been looking for:
Ensure that your VPN provides a high-speed, constant, and dependable connection with minimal ping latency. If your ping is low without lag, gamers will have a pleasant gaming experience. To qualify as low, your ping should be below 20 milliseconds or between 20-50 milliseconds.
Always go for a VPN with a vast server network. With low pings and unrestricted access, you can quickly connect to the gaming servers with a VPN with servers in a dozen countries.
Choose a VPN that utilizes the most secure encryption standards, an active kill switch, and IP Leak protection. It's essential because multiple gamers can see and use your IP address to launch a DDoS assault and cause your home connection to become unstable in any peer-to-peer online gaming service where many people are connected.
Check to see whether your VPN works on numerous platforms. Make sure your VPN is compatible with routers or a specific desktop operating system. All of the five VPNs reviewed in this article are compatible with routers and other critical operating systems, such as Windows and macOS.
To play online games on your PS4 or PS5, you need low Ping time and smooth internet speed. This will ensure an excellent gaming experience.
Best VPN For PlayStation
NordVPN is the best VPN for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, as far as we're concerned. With over 5,000 servers in 59 locations, NordVPN allows gamers to play on available gaming servers and download new games sooner.
- Panama's most popular VPN service is the best VPN for gaming consoles because it uses AES-256 bit encryption and OpenVPN as a standard. It utilizes two ports, UDP and TCP, both to encrypt data. Other than OpenVPN, NordVPN employs IKEv2, which provides consistent speeds.
- NordVPN's connection speed is the quickest in the industry. With an extensive server network, you can locate a gaming VPN close to your location that ensures a fast connection with low pings. It circumvents ISP throttling in this manner, allowing users to play their favorite games without limitation.
- The NordVPN app also features the WireGuard protocol, a fast and secure solution for playing online games. It has several advanced security features, such as a kill switch, DNS and IP leak protection, split tunneling, and CyberSec. It protects users from phishing scams, DDoS attacks, and malware infections.
- The service provider has obfuscation servers and a Smart DNS function that aids in circumventing restrictions by allowing you to access material from blocked streaming providers.
Visit NordVPN to get some fantastic deals on security for your gaming or streaming experience.
Our second choice for gaming consoles is ExpressVPN from the British Virgin Islands. ExpressVPN stands out from the competition and is trustworthy to use due to the following reasons:
- It is based in the British Virgin Islands and has been operating since 2009. While it may seem to be a small company, its infrastructure spans more than 50 data centers spread across five continents to ensure that customers get their data back even if one of its servers gets seized by the authorities.
- ExpressVPN supports various encryption protocols, including OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, IKEv2, and its proprietary Lightway protocol. ExpressVPN's Lightway technology is faster than OpenVPN, providing more protection and superior connection speeds.
- ExpressVPN offers unlimited bandwidth so that you won't experience any problems with speed or throttling.
- You can use different servers and protocols to have a faster internet connection.
- The VPN comes with a kill switch and DNS and IP leak protection features that are activated. You will not leak your IP address in any way. Thus, it prevents DDoS assaults.
- The VPN includes an extensive server network. It has 3000 servers in 94 different locations, allowing you to establish a quick connection with minimal pings and ensuring good gameplay.
- ExpressVPN, like other top-tier VPNs mentioned in this post, is compatible with a variety of platforms, including Android, macOS, Windows, and iOS. The VPN also includes an app for routers that allows users to secure their gaming consoles.
- The SmartDNS feature of the VPN allows the game console to unblock streaming content without buffering or latency issues.
If you want to check out different areas of ExpressVPN, the company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Another excellent option for gaming on the PlayStation is Surfshark. The service is compatible with all major devices, operating systems, game consoles (PS4 and PS5), and particular routers. You can also download it by connecting your connection to your PC.
Surfshark is a reliable and secure way to browse the internet because:
- It also includes a kill switch and GPS spoofing, allowing you to change your location and download gaming content outside your home.
- The Encrypted File Transfer Protocol (EFTP) uses military-grade encryption to safeguard your data and activities via a secure connection.
- It uses IPsec/IKEV2, WireGuard, and Shadowsocks in addition to OpenVPN. IKEV2 is designed for high speeds, but it also maintains security. WireGuard is a secure but quick VPN that uses IKEV2. ShadowSocks isn't an encryption technology, but it is a proxy that helps users
- 3200+ servers in over 65 countries make up the VPN. More servers result in a faster connection and lower ping times.
- Surfshark's speeds are sufficient for gaming, but it does not provide low ping across the board. To ensure an immediate connection on Surfshark, connect to WireGuard, one of the best gaming protocols.
- Surfshark also includes a camouflage mode that hides your IP address and protects you from DDoS assaults.
The 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to test Surfshark on your PS4 or PS5.
Our fifth pick is PureVPN, which is based in Hong Kong. It has many servers and exceptional unblocking capabilities, making it an excellent choice for gaming with over 6500 servers.
Here are some reasons to use a PureVPN on your PlayStation:
- PureVPN offers a DDoS protection add-on for its VPN service. It prevents you from becoming a target of any such assault by masking your actual IP address. PureVPN's gaming VPN service, bolstered with DDoS security, maintains order and delivers an unrivaled gaming experience.
- PureVPN's premium service includes another helpful feature for gamers. The Port Forwarding add-on allows you to overcome geographical restrictions, host private games, and join multiplayer games.
- With over 6500 servers in 180+ countries, PureVPN is one of the most popular VPN services available. The gaming experience is made more pleasant with PureVPN's vast server network, which ensures availability, fast connection speeds, and low pings throughout.
- PureVPN servers support a variety of encryption technologies, including OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, and SSTP. These protocols provide maximum security while IKEv2 and OpenVPN UDP ports keep speed constant.
- The service provider uses 256-bit encryption to secure your data and includes additional security-enhancing features like a kill switch and DNS and IP leak protection.
- Split tunneling from PureVPN is also helpful while playing online games. Gamers may play their game sessions on a VPN network or a local network without jeopardizing their online security using this feature.
- You may use the program on various operating systems and Android and iOS devices. You can set it up on all major platforms, including Windows, macOS, and Linux, as well as several supported router brands.
- PureVPN allows you to access the US Netflix library, and you can enjoy it on your PS4 and PS5 as well.
If you're still not sure if PureVPN is for you, don't worry. We offer a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it out risk-free. If you're not satisfied, we'll refund your purchase within the first 30 days.
Another viable option for gaming consoles is VPN. The VPN provides good privacy and works on a variety of platforms.
The complete package has the following features.
- To safeguard your online data and gaming sessions from prying eyes, it uses OpenVPN technology with AES-256 bit encryption.
- General security features such as a kill switch, DNS, and IP leak protection are included in Private VPNs.
- With over 3300+ servers in 32 cities and the ability to connect six devices at once, CyberGhost provides stable connection speeds with minimal latency for gaming. However, like NordVPN or ExpressVPN, it won't be as low as others.
- The VPN is compatible with a wide range of routers and operating systems. It also has corresponding applications for macOS, Android, Windows, and iOS.
Why Do I Need To Use a VPN on PlayStation?
Using a compatible VPN on PlayStation enhances your gaming and streaming experience for various reasons. The following are some of the significant advantages:
Protect Against DDoS Attacks
DDoS assaults are the worst nightmare for gamers. System failures, slow internet speeds, and a downright awful gaming experience are all symptoms of DDoS attacks. The finest VPN for PS4 & PS5 helps prevent DDoS attacks by masking the user's IP address.
A virtual private network (VPN) encrypts your data into deeply nested packets and substitutes your actual IP address with one provided by the VPN server. This makes it impossible for game owners to identify you or where you are accessing the web. Thanks to this feature, you can play games worry-free without worrying about any cyber dangers.
Access Online Games Globally
PlayStation games vary from one country to the next. In Japan, for example, many of the games are released forward of schedule, as opposed to other regions. You won't access games from different areas because of geopolitical limitations.
With a PlayStation VPN, you can be the first to play brand-new titles from anywhere on the globe. There are over a thousand servers available with the best PS4 and PS5 VPN. They provide a large selection of locations where you may connect and play newly released games.
Watch Streaming Content
A VPN service may also assist you in watching online content. You can gain access to several streaming sites while hiding your actual IP address behind one. You can watch regional streaming services, such as:
- BBC iPlayer
- Amazon Prime
- Disney Plus
ExpressVPN and others work as SmartDNS proxies to enable you to access streaming services on consoles. For example, ExpressVPN includes a SmartDNS technology that allows you to unblock streaming applications on your gaming console.
Enjoy Fast Internet Speed
We've all heard about ISPs monitoring us. The users' bandwidth is limited by service providers, which limits their connection speed. As a result, the user has a sluggish internet connection. ISPs do so to prevent users from using excessive bandwidth and causing network congestion. A gaming VPN may improve your online gameplay when utilizing a gaming VPN.
The VPN also aids in the concealment of your IP address and prevents your ISP from monitoring you online. They won't be able to tell what you're up to on the internet, which might prevent them from restricting your connection speed. As a result, you may enjoy peak speeds when surfing the web.
To Ensure Privacy and Security
Although gaming is not a hazardous pastime, it can get somewhat competitive at times. In such circumstances, you may need to protect your privacy. Swatting is one of the most frequent privacy concerns, in which someone fabricates a phony emergency law enforcement response against a target.
As I previously stated, a jealous gamer may swat you just because they lost a game against you. Although it is usually only performed for fun, swatting can be deadly and has already resulted in people shooting by mistake.
Doxing is the act of publishing personal information about someone online. While these problems are frequently caused by social engineering, using a VPN to protect oneself from them can also prevent them. A VPN may help guarantee anonymity and privacy by hiding your IP address and encrypting your data.
How to Install a VPN on PS4 & PS5?
On PlayStation 4 and PS5, there are three distinct methods to set up a virtual private network. All of these techniques work well. The quickest method to get a VPN on game consoles is to utilize the SmartDNS function. However, it isn't entirely secure since it does not conceal your IP address or encrypt your data.
I recommend creating a VPN connection on your PC by sharing it. It's because it doesn't produce any problems, as with Smart DNS. Not all routers are compatible with VPNs, either. You may go back to using the PC approach if your router isn't compatible with VPNs.
Here are the steps for installing a VPN on your PS4 and PS5.
Method No 1: Router’s Method
The steps are as follows:
- To change your router's settings, you will need to log in to the control panel.
- To add a new VPN profile, navigate to the VPN client tab and click on the Add Profile option on the left-hand side.
- To create a VPN connection, you must enter some specific information. In the pop-up box that appears, select OpenVPN. Then, in the Description box, name your new VPN connection.
- Now, you can download the OpenVPN config files. Select a download location and tap to click download config to save the files on your computer.
- After you've backed up the config files, import them. This entails returning to your router's administration panel. Select Choose Files from the Import option next to the OpenVPN file box. Select the .ovpnfile you downloaded. Click Upload > Uncheck the box beside Import the CA certificate and then OK. You can now see your new connection profile.
- Click on the Activate button to play games or stream safely on your PS4 or PS5.
Method No 2: Share a Connection from Your PC
You can connect to the VPN using an Ethernet connection to your PlayStation if you have a PC or a laptop. The following are the procedures for sharing your link on both macOS and Windows:
For Windows User:
- Choose a reliable VPN from the list mentioned above.
- Connect your PlayStation 4 or PS5 to your computer. An ethernet cable can help you do this. Use a second Ethernet cable to connect your system to your router for a quicker connection.
- Go to the Control Panel and then to the Network and Sharing Center. There, you will see how much data you have used this month and how much data is left in your plan.
- You can find the Change Adapter Settings option on the list that appears on the left.
- Now, go to the Sharing tab and let other people on the network use your computer's internet connection.
- Under the Home Networking Connection, select your ethernet connection for your PS4 or PS5.
- Tap on Ok, and then open your VPN app. Select a server from the list of servers.
- Now, on your PlayStation, go to Network Settings and set up a new network connection.
- To use your PlayStation on Windows, select the Use a LAN cable option. Then decline to use a proxy server.
For macOS Users:
- You will need to install a compatible VPN provider on your macOS computer.
- To connect your PlayStation to your mac, use an ethernet cable.
- Open System Preferences. Click on Sharing. Then click on Internet Sharing.
- To share your internet connection with other devices, select WiFi from the list of options. Choose Ethernet from the To Computers using the menu.
- Make sure that your computer is sharing the Internet.
- Select a VPN server and connect to it.
- Go to Network Settings and select Set Up a New Connection on your PlayStation.
To connect your PS4 or PS5 to a VPN, you need a LAN cable. This is easy to do. Do not use a proxy server.
Method No 3: With SmartDNS Technology
Some service providers, such as ExpressVPN, provide a unique technology (i.e., SmartDNS technology) to link a VPN to streaming and gaming devices.
The following steps will show you how to set up a VPN on your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 with SmartDNS technology:
- Sign up for ExpressVPN. This will help keep your online information safe and secure.
- Install the VPN app on your device.
- The first thing you must do is register your IP address. This is done by logging into your VPN account. Look for phrases such as “Smart DNS” or “DNS Settings.” Select that option and input your IP address. It's all taken care of for you.
- Once your IP address has been registered, you'll receive a DNS code that you must input into your PlayStation's network settings. Please write it down and store it somewhere secure.
- Please turn on your PlayStation.
- To set up your internet connection, go to Settings > Network. Click on “Set up internet connection.” Choose the “Custom” option.
- If your PlayStation is connected to the internet using WiFi, select WiFi. Choose Ethernet if your PlayStation is connected to the internet using an Ethernet cable.
- Select “Automatic.” > Do not specify. > Manual.
- To set up a DNS code on your device, go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Select the network you are connected to > Scroll down and enter the DNS code in the “Automatic” field.
- You can improve the quality of your Internet connection by testing it. To do this, you will need to restart your console.
You can now watch your favorite TV shows and movies on the blocked streaming sites that are unavailable in your region on your PS4 or PS5.
Hopefully, you've learned how crucial it is to utilize a gaming VPN on your PlayStation. A virtual private network (VPN) hides your real IP address while playing games, making you anonymous and secure. Furthermore, a VPN uses various additional features to guarantee a trouble-free gaming experience.
If you want to make your PS4 experience more enjoyable, try using one of the VPNs listed above. They will provide you with quicker connection speeds for gaming and protection from cyber-attacks, ISP monitoring, and throttling.